Cerner (www.cerner.com) provides an electronic health record (EHR) used by many healthcare organizations. Self-report HealthMeasures are being integrated into Cerner as part of a National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) grant. The multi-site grant, “EHR Access to Seamless Integration of PROMIS® (EASI-PRO)” was awarded to Northwestern University, University of Chicago, University of Illinois Hospitals and Clinics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, University of Florida Health, University of Utah, Harvard Catalyst Clinical and Translational Science Institute, and Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute.
If you are interested in administering PROMIS through Cerner, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Order PROMIS computer adaptive tests (CATs) and short forms available through the Assessment Center API for adults and pediatric patients
- Administer measures to patients within the Patient Portal
- View individual patient’s responses and scores over time
- View trended scores in graph form
- In SMART on FHIR App launched from sidebar.
- With additional configuration, Cerner’s native plotting interface.
- Notify patients of ordered measures not yet completed
- End-to-end workflows for the deployment, collection, review, and analysis of PROMIS measures
- All measures in the Assessment Center API, including PROMIS CATs, Profiles, and Global Health Scales.
- Adult and pediatric self-report, and parent proxy report for pediatric patients
- English and Spanish translations
Implementing HealthMeasures in Cerner requires a local analyst and software architect and potentially additional coordination with Cerner Support and IT teams, depending upon hosting and licensing model. Additional requirements include:
- Use of Cerner Millennium 2018.01 with FHIR Ignite APIs
- Collaboration with Cerner team (local or remote) to configure domain.
- Locally secured architecture: Acquisition and installation of local servers for the Assessment Center API, the application server, and FHIR servers.
- Cerner IT teams will need to provide support for this application.
The SMART on FHIR Technical Implementation Guide includes:
- Implementation requirements
- Implementation steps for developers
The PROMIS Workflow for Provider includes step-by-step instructions for:
- Ordering a patient-reported outcome measure
- Reviewing patient scores
- Reviewing responses to each item
The PROMIS Workflow for Patient includes images of the patient portal interface for patient-reported outcome measures. This is an example from University of Southern California.
- Patient Portal login
- Starting and logging in to the PROMIS assessment application (“PROMIS PRO”)
- Starting and completing an assessment